Where did I put my Happy?
Thanks to Kids Business for giving me the opportunity to contribute to their Happiness inspires Happiness blogs. Happiness is one area that I strive to have a little of everyday. So much so that I run a monthly challenge a while back called My Happy Place as I was really struggling to feel happy as caring for my mum who has Alzheimer’s was taking its toll on me. Alongside being a mother, a wife and running my own business. I was upset and felt guilty that I was not happy when my life did have so much to offer.
Finding my Happy
Working and studying behaviour, one area I have a passion for is happiness and the most important lesson I have learnt is that it is impossible to be in a state of happiness all the time. It is perfectly valid to feel a wide range of emotions: sadness, anger, dismay, worry, guilt etc… We are human and some days we can handle these emotions rather well and other days we push through the best we can and that is OK. Acknowledging and accepting that being happy all the time is not realistic is a start to finding happy moments in your day, however small that happy moment is. Our emotions make us who we are, at times just taking a minimal timeout for yourself can put things back into some kind of perspective.
Happy in the moment
There are a number of ways to find your happy but it is also important to remember that feeling just OK or simply feeling fine is a normal way to feel. Finding your happy can help you get through difficult days even if it means running away inside you head to find your happy. In our very busy world we are constantly on doing something and online what seems to be 24/7, reading about how we should be parenting, how to raise our children, how to be a domestic goddess and so on. I know I feel overwhelmed and at times feel I cannot keep up with all the how – to’s. So now I choose carefully what I read, ignore what I do not resonate with and do what I feel is right in balancing or unbalancing my life.
Finding my happy is now easier and in very simple and ordinary day to day activities. My thirty happy in the moment list is a month worth of little things that make me smile, happy and sometimes just make me feel like me.
- Making my mum smile and laugh
- Making my children laugh
- Laughing with my Mr
- A good cup of coffee
- Going for a 10 minute walk
- Painting my nails
- Reading blogs
- Looking through photographs
- Watching Mr 7 dance his way
- When Miss 16 sends me an I love you text
- Walking on the grass barefoot
- Taking deep breaths
- Not sweating the small stuff
- Having a chat with a girlfriend
- Writing and sending cards to friends
- A glass of Bubbles
- A shower (with no interruptions)
- Music and singing my way (loudly and out of tune)
- Ten minutes quiet time on my own
- Making others smile
- Finding a bargain at the op shop
- Playing with my kids
- Noticing the beauty in something I haven’t seen before
- Watching a movie
- Eating Ice-cream
- A cleanish car
- Living more in the moment
Can you relate to any? I would be happy if you add any of your own too as your Happiness inspires Happiness
Latest posts by Nathalie Brown (see all)
- Easy Peasy Cereal Box Bookmarks - November 24, 2014
- Cool things for Kids plus $125 and discount code - November 19, 2014
- Battroborg Warrior and Battroborg Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Giveaway - November 2, 2014